Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Quilting to deadline

The wedding is Saturday, January 29 - yes, that is this Saturday. I had my time all mapped out. Borders on by the Friday night - quilted by the end of the weekend, bound by Monday night.

Oh, right - that thing about best laid plans etc.

I got the Friday night right - this is as far as I got:

11 01 21 irish chain top

All basted by Saturday morning - after having to go to Fabricland to get more batting. Mine was just a teeny, tiny, eentsy bit too small, but too small is too small.

And then I hit the machine:

11 01 22 irish chain and me

Now, you must understand that I'm only smiling because I'm grateful to not have thrown the machine, quilt et al across the room. You know what quilting on a small throat machine is like: it's like this - inch by inch across the quilt - jamming it all the way. I have no patience. I really have no patience when all I can think of is "shoulda bought the home quilter. Shoulda bought the home quilter."

11 01 22 irish chain in the machine

Now to the really good news. I phoned my daughter to tell her that the quilt would be in the purolator by Wednesday morning (at a miserable expense, but when was it ever different when it comes to your kids?) and she said (God love her), "Mom, I don't think I'll give it to them until after the wedding."

The weight. It lifted from my shoulders then and there. You see, I sewed all day Sunday at home, except for going to church. By midnight, I could barely see straight - which was when I saw the entire block of quilting that had great tangled loopies on the bottom.

I ripped them out and went to bed.

Now I can finish with style.

No comments: