Saturday, February 12, 2011

Strippy Newspaper Pinwheels

Back before Christmas, I made a swack (that's a technical term) of pinwheels from a slew (another technical term) of black, red and white fabrics I have, most of them from Keepsake Quilting's scrap bags. (Have I mentioned that I really like their scrap bags?). With one square of each fabric, I ended up with 168 pinwheels, 2 each of 84 combinations. I intended to use them for a quilt I call Newspaper Pinwheels (Black and White and Re(a)d all over). (Bad joke.) (Bad old joke.) I'm still working on that quilt, but since I've redrafted it several times, I'm not quite sure where I'm going. It uses half the pinwheels.

The challenge then, is to use the rest of the pinwheels - and so, I am. These are some of the pinwheels:

11 02 12 the pinwheels

And this is how I started - I cut a swack (another of those technical terms) of quarter square triangles, so that I could make a strippy quilt.

11 02 12 starting

The Undercover Strippers got together today for a great day of sewing at the church.

11 02 12 at US saturday

By the end of the day, I have five strips. My layout says I need seven, but I am pretty sure I'll stop at six. This quilt is already much bigger than I had planned, and six strips will be plenty enough.

11 02 12 five strips

This one's for me - and will be in our quilt show in October, 2011. The girls laugh and tell me I can have my own little red and black corner. With half-square triangles.

Go, Sens, Go.

2 comments:

Nellie said...

I love the idea of how you are putting the pinwheels together, looks great. How do you order from Keepsake quilting into Canada?

Karen said...

Ordering from Keepsake Quilting is easy. You can go to the website or by mail from the catalog. Their shipping is a bit more than I would prefer, but the prices are good and most of the time, they broker the stuff in the States so that you don't get caught by Canada Customs and the infamous $5.00 charge.